Lent: An Invitation into Spiritual Transformation
March 4, 2020
11:30am – 1:00pm
Lent is a season that precedes Easter in which we especially focus on examining our hearts, confessing our sins, and reflecting on the significance of Christ's death. Lent is a time to do some personal "soul cleansing" through a focus on prayer, reflection, fasting, and study. Lent is also about community renewal, repentance and refocusing on God’s mission in the world.
This Lent we will focus on Spiritual Transformation - the process by which Christ is formed in us by the Holy Spirit.
- Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 And we all, who with unveiled faces reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
I want to offer some ways that you can intentionally enter into this season. However, I do not want to give the impression that we must busy ourselves with more to do, more church activities, more burdens. These are simply resources for your to grow in Christ. Take time to sit with the Lord, journal out your desires and intentions for this season and let the Holy Spirit guide your commitments:
Weekly Prayer & Fasting
Wednesdays at Lunchtime
Commit to weekly prayer and fasting during lunch on Wednesdays.
In this season of transition at MPC, please join us in praying for:
- The Pastoral Search
- The Elders - Mission Study Team, Transitional Pastor Search, their spiritual nourishment and vision.
- The MPC Congregation
- The gospel of Jesus Christ to continue to transform us
- The gospel of Jesus Christ to spread in this Malibu-Pacific region
Location: Pray where you are or the MPC Sanctuary will be open from 11:30am-1pm.
Click Here for a GUIDE ON FASTING
See also: Fasting MPC Handout
Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation
By Ruth Haley Barton
Join us in reading this book about spiritual practices that open us to God's transforming love and the changes only God can bring about in our life. This book will help you establish your own sacred rhythm that keeps you in step with Jesus.
Copies available at MPC for $10 or order on Amazon
Listen to the MPC Podcast
Listen to how Jesus is moving in our midst! Our transformation stories will build up our church and further the gospel in the world.
During Lent we are sitting down with people in our midst at MPC to hear their "Transformation Stories" of how God is renewing, changing, and growing them in this recent season of life.
Like Paul longed for his churches, we long to see Christ formed in you (Galatians 4:19, 2 Corinthians 3:18, Romans 12:1-2). We hope by sharing our stories of transformation we will testify to the power of the gospel in our lives and further the gospel in the world.